Welcome + Vision
BUILT FOR PROGRESS
The theme for this year’s Sustainability Report, Built for Progress, continues our momentum from last year’s milestone report, Our Formula for Progress. Sustainability is an enduring, fundamental part of FMC’s structure, built into who we are as a company. We develop products for our modern, solution-oriented, global customers and an increasingly aware public. With a business-focused approach to sustainability, FMC is built to succeed, advance and grow. We make constant incremental progress to become a more sustainable enterprise that delivers enduring value to our customers. Developing innovative solutions, maintaining a dynamic workforce and addressing some of the world’s most pressing challenges are the keys to making real progress. Built for Progress is comprised of three key pillars which were introduced in last year’s report:
- Our People, including safety, diversity and employee programs
- Our Products, including innovation, new product introductions and sustainable supply chain practices
- Our Responsibility, including environmental footprint and community engagement
OUR SUSTAINABILITY JOURNEY VIDEO
Experience Our Journey from Making a Choice to Building for Progress
A NEW VISION FOR FMC
FMC’s vision for the next two to three years is to be a leading, innovative provider of technologies that helps feed and power a growing population. Our employees continue to adhere to the guiding principles outlined below to achieve our vision:
- Be Safe, Ethical, and Sustainable Stewards
- Drive Innovation in Technology
- Recruit and Develop an Exceptional and Diverse Workforce
- Be More Agile and Efficient
- Maintain a Global Reach with a Local Focus
FMC employees, working according to these principles, deliver solutions that help mitigate some of the world’s most pressing global challenges.
Our continued work in sustainability is strengthened by foundational operational initiatives and frameworks, including:
ADDRESSING MAJOR GLOBAL CHALLENGES
Throughout our reporting and on our sustainability website you will learn how FMC is helping to alleviate five of the world’s major challenges. These Global Challenges have framed our work since we formalized sustainability at FMC in 2011. We understand the role we must play to help balance the resources of our world with the fast-growing population.
As a highly focused specialty chemical company, our products, technologies and services are key to mitigating these challenges.
- FOOD + HEALTH EXPECTATIONS
- Food and crop production must increase to meet the basic needs and desires of a rapidly growing and socio-economically diverse population seeking a wider array of nutritional options.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONSCIOUSNESS
- Growing interest in natural and benign materials is fueling the need for new, improved, bio-based products that reduce impact on the environment.
- CLIMATE CHANGE
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions is considered a necessary step in mitigating climate-warming trends.
- SCARCE RESOURCES
- To cope with limited availability of fresh water, energy, forests and other essential resources, we must carefully manage them and more widely use renewable alternatives.
- LAND COMPETITION
- Urbanization to accommodate a growing population and poor land management techniques are limiting the amount of arable areas available for agriculture, which intensifies the need to increase farmland productivity and crop yields.
GLOBAL REPORTING INITIATIVE (GRI)
GRI provides a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework covering economic, environmental and social sustainability disclosure criteria. The framework has been broadly adopted around the world to assess sustainability performance.
FMC prepared its 2016 sustainability report according to the GRI Standards. The GRI Content Index provides a consolidated list of our GRI Standard disclosures.
BE IN TOUCH
We welcome your questions, comments and feedback. For more information about FMC or our Sustainability Report, please contact Linda Froelich, Global Sustainability Director, at email@example.com.